Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gifts: What did you give? Who did you give a gift to?

Writing Practice:  Here is my story of the week. After you read it, you can click on comment and write your story about a gift. 


After I got married in 2008, my husband and I wanted our children to get to know each other better. In July, 2008, one of our daughters turned twenty-one, and another daughter turned twenty-five. They asked us to give them a big party to celebrate being new sisters. Also, those birthdays seemed very important to them. So we agreed, and we gave them a big party at our home. We invited our family and friends to an afternoon barbecue and party. We had a big carrot cake with candles and we had home-made ice cream, too. Our daughters wore birthday hats, just like little girls! Everyone laughed a lot, ate good food and had a good time together. It was a fun party and an important day for all of us.


  • What about you? Click on comment, and write your story about a gift that you gave, or write about a gift that someone gave to you. Write 6-10 sentences in past time.

Listening Practice: A Boy's Birthday



We read a chapter about birthday presents. The Railway Children gave some gifts to their friend, Perks. People from the village gave gifts, too.
  1. Today, click and listen to a young boy talk about his birthday. He's very excited.
  2. Click again and practice vocabulary by dragging words to make good sentences
  3. Click here for one more vocabulary exercise.
Grammar Practice
  1. Are you learning your irregular verbs? 
  2. Click here for exercises.
 Speaking Practice
  1. Click here to practice listening and speaking for the Level 4 Speaking test. You need email to sign in and record your answers.

4 comments:

  1. The best gift I ever received was a cassette walkman. My parents gave it to me for my 15 year old birthday. I had one before but it was older and had less functions.It only applied play and forward and it was not convenient for studying English. It was the best gift because I really needed it to practice my listening in English. And I liked music at that time. I could enjoy it with the new cassette because it had a high quality sound system. I liked it very much. Even though I had CD later. I will always keep it.
    By Zhaohui Chen

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best gift I even received was a birthday card.My dear daughter gave me when I was 31 years old birthday. On it,there were many drawing,such as flowers,trees,glasses and me.It said:"Happy Birthday!Mom.I love you forever!"I knew it was very cheap,it cost no money.But it was made my daughter by herself.For this reason,I felt it was so expensive.I Kept it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! my name is Patty.
    The birtday celebration in my Country Mexico is almost the same like here in SF. Nov.10,2009, that is only two days ago, my son Daniel had a birthay party. I made some special food. Hot chocolate, chicken tamales, and sweet tamales too. I also made barbecue ribs,and apple desert. And of course I bought a 3 milk cake. Later on, I gave him a present. He enjoyed alot. Now my Danny is 6 years old. Happy Birthday, dear Danny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing I ever received was a english dictionary. About several years ago my good friend gave me.It was very small computer.It can translate chinese and it still can pronounce english.I very like it.Because it was convenient for me to learn english.So it is the best prosent I ever received.

    By Jenny xu

    ReplyDelete