Story: When I was younger, I was a teacher in Lisbon, Portugal, for two years. I enjoyed living and working there. I went back to Lisbon in 2004 with my daughter, Xana. She was born there before I came back to San Francisco. I wanted her to see her first home. We had a good time there!
When I first started to live there, I got very lost one time on the bus. I was on my way to teach in the evening. I had to teach in the morning, too, and I was very tired. So, I stopped watching the street signs carefully and I didn't know when to get off the bus. I was very nervous about being lost and late to work. I wasn't sure which way to go. Of course, it was more difficult to speak Portuguese because I was nervous. I remember I felt very hot and I also felt like I could not breathe very well. I remember my confusion very well. I think I found my way to work on time, but I am not sure!
After that, I learned to be more careful about taking the bus. I practiced asking questions about transportation so I would not be so nervous! I began to enjoy going around my new city much more. Lisbon is beautiful, and I really loved to walk around the city in my free time on the weekends. I liked to look for new places up and down the hills near the old city and near the river.
Write: Make a comment this week:
- What do you think about Muni?
- Do you have a story about getting lost in San Francisco? Did someone help you? Were you late?
- What do you think about the Muni website? When can you use this to get around in San Francisco more easily?
Internet Work: When I lived in Lisbon, it was very hard to learn the bus system. There was no easy phone number to call and at that time there was no Internet! We are luckier now in new cities. This week, we are studying about transportation and questions. Look at the SF Muni website, and find some bus directions. You will read this word: itinerary- this means the directions for your trip, which buses to take, and where to walk. Itinerary is an excellent transportation word.
- You begin at A: 750 Eddy Street
- You go to B: SF General Hospital
- You begin at 750 Eddy Street
- You go to SF International Airport
- What is the quickest trip?
- What is the most expensive trip?
- You begin at A: type your home address.
- You go to B: Type this: California Academy of Science
- How long does it take?
- How much is the fare?
Did you read Chapter 5, "Saving the Train"? Watch this part of the Railway Children. The children speak quickly, but you can understand the story very well, I think!